Saturday, May 7, 2011

"we are monsters!" opening night at pleasant plains studios, washington d.c.


Kris and I took a little trip out to our nation's capital to drop by the "We Are Monsters!" opening night at Pleasant Plains Workshop, Friday evening. Of course a night on the town was not complete without a stroll in my Lamborghini, funded entirely by Splotch Monster sales.


When we got there, the weather was looking pretty ominous, with frightening lightening and dark skies. This didn't stop the place from packing it in, which was a very good thing.


The window front of P.P.W. featured a great trio of monster sculptures, made just for the show.


Anthony Dihle (the happy fella with the glasses and drink in hand), who helps run the studio curated the show, featuring 21 local artists. It was a real pleasure to be asked to be a part of this fantastic show, which runs until June 4, 2011.


Once again, the place was jam-packed.

Love these collages!


I really dug the drawings too - I'm a real sucker for black ink on paper works.


Sweet triptych!

I really enjoyed the wide range of artistic styles and formats going on in the show.


This little fella (above) was real charming - one of my favorite pieces of the night.


Cool little sculpture doll!



It was real nice to see some people interested in some of my work, which included nine Splotch Monsters and one Godzilla drawing. I also have a Moleskine book of Splotch Monsters on display for folks to leaf through at the back of the gallery. 


It was even nicer to see a couple of my works sell pretty quickly! Thanks! :)


DC Conspirator Evan Keeling had a couple of wicked works (above) at the show as well. 


There was something for everyone at the show.


The photo above was perhaps the most unique and nightmare-inducing piece of all. Awesome!


Thanks to Anthony and the Pleasant Plains Workshop crew, and to all the artists and folks who showed up and supported the art. If you're in DC, don't miss this show!


Goodnight and sleep tight yo (driving back home in the 'Ghini of course).

4 comments:

  1. Looking good, Steve- you, the monsters, and the Italian job.

    When I look at your photos of openings, they look so...enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Susan! It was fun, though very hot. Wish you could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way they chose to hang the artwork! Clips and pushpins! Awesome. Stealing that idea for my classroom! Love the monsters too. I do a lesson with my students called 40 dot monster. They make 40 random dots, connect them however they see fit and then look to see what kind of monster they have created and embellish it from there. It looks like everyone had a great time at the opening-not your typical art opening I would imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it was all around great! Love your dot idea too btw. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete