Monday, May 29, 2017

cicadas meet splotch monster Island!



Currently, at my home in Sterling, Virginia, there is a recent (unexpected) emergence of what my wife Kris calls "overachiever cicadas". From what I gathered, only one percent of the upcoming seventeen-year cicada brood has emerged early, filling the air with it's glorious collective drone, and keeping the birds and squirrels quite fat and happy. I can only imagine what it'll be like when the full brood emerges a few years from now, and try to recall when they last came by, while I was living in Winchester, VA over a decade ago. Some people love 'em, others seem to hate them, and they're relatively harmless, and kind of aimless. In fact, these cicadas are even a little clueless, except when it comes to breeding, which is their main purpose, before they fill the ground surface with their lifeless exoskeleton carcasses, after a very short time spent above the surface of the earth. 

I recall how excited I was the last time they came by, since I've always been somewhat of a bug nerd since my uncle taught me how to skillfully catch grasshoppers as a young boy, and I thought it might be a fun challenge to create a little Splotch Monster ode to these cool little , red-eyed flying freaksazoids. The Splotch Monsters in this image, like the humans, are experiencing a variety of emotions, regarding these very temporary space invaders, from delighted to simply annoyed, you can see the expressions on their faces. 

I'm happy to be debuting this piece as a high-quality giclee print at the Round Hill Arts Center, as part of the upcoming 2017 Western Loudoun Artists Studio Tour. You'll find this piece, and many many more on the tour this coming Saturday and Sunday, June 3rd and 4th, each day, from 10am -5pm. Hope to see you there!




No comments:

Post a Comment