Wednesday, June 1, 2016

new splotchwerk on the horizon


I actually made the painted splotches about two summers ago, while at the annual Feed Your Soul artist/art educator retreat in Portland, Maine, but I never really knew what to do with this cloud-inspired piece until recently. In fact, I didn't even know what to do with it, or how to approach it until I left it on my studio table for a couple of days, looked at it, slept on it, and started working. The first thing I saw were two big, orange eyes, and a place for a mouth and nostrils (at least when things finally began to "click" for me), then I took it from there, adding multiple faces within a cloud-shaped face. I've added a little bit every night over the past few days, and by this weekend it should be done.  We'll see where it takes me in the end. Sometimes, however, in order to get started with something, you simply have to get started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment