Sunday, April 6, 2014

an accidental collaborative effort


Here's a new one, after months of Splotch Monster dormancy. My wife Kris likes to paint and experiment with new materials, in this case inks. For a little while she had this piece of paper covered in random pink and black marks, sitting around collecting dust. She suggested I turn it into a Splotch Monster, and that I did! I have to say, it's both great fun and more of a challenge when you have to complete a piece of art that you didn't begin in the first place, which is why I've always been such a stickler for creative collaborations. For a while, I've had an idea brewing in my head pertaining to this very idea of creative collaboration and Splotch Monsters, and this summer will finally be the time to get that ball a rollin'.

In the meantime, thanks to Allen and Nancy for having me by again at their store Books and Other Found Things last Friday evening, as part of the monthly First Friday art night in Leesburg, Virginia. I call these events "workshops", but in all honesty, it's a lot more casual than that, and though I've said it before, I am always thoroughly astounded at what folks make when they come in, sit down and start to create their own Splotch Monsters. This time I brought my set of paints (for the first time actually) and that was a lot of fun. I look forward to visiting again in May. Hopefully next time the weather will be warm enough to host a "workshop" outside!


No comments:

Post a Comment