Tuesday, November 19, 2013

more collaborative works with cat gilbert


Here are the latest collaborative works between Cat Gilbert and myself, for the "Flowers and Monsters" series. Cat set me up with some great, loosely rendered drawings of some very alien-like flower and plant forms, and I ended up adding paint splotches around them, which would later come to life as "monsters" interacting with these plant-like objects. I also had the pleasure of coloring in the plants with marker, which took me back to my days as a kid working in a coloring-book. I'd like to say these pieces have a more serious, deeper meaning, but honestly, they're more humorous and absurd than anything, and that's what I love about 'em. Now they're on their merry way to John Fogarty's place, where he'll wrap up his end of the collaboration. This project began back in March of this year and most likely won't be completed until around that same time next year, so it'll be interesting to see where this all is heading as it begins to wind down. I had so much fun working on this collaboration with such amazing artists, I'm kind of sad, yet slightly relieved to be done, on my end at least. It makes me happy to see that all three of us will have a hand in each and every piece (25 altogether) and hopefully we can get some kind of exhibit set up for this work in the near future.  I'm working on compiling a Flickr set documenting the process of this project, hopefully in its entirety, much like the one I did with JJ Cromer in 2012. When that's all squared away, I'll make sure to post about it here at the blog soon. 






2 comments: