Wednesday, April 10, 2013

cat & steve collab 1 (pt 1)



Here's the first of six sheets worth of Splotch Monsters I made and sent to collaborator Cat Gilbert. Cat is an artist based in NYC who runs the excellent The 22 Magazine. I'm really psyched about this collaboration because she's been working on a cool ongoing series of works that already incorporate monsters into her art. Recently, Cat and I threw some ideas around with regards to this collaboration, and we decided to merge it with the one I began and posted about previously with John Fogarty! So, so far we've got three in on this ongoing series of art collabs, and we're hoping to get maybe one or two more folks willing to join us (Cat is working on that currently). Whatever happens, it's going to be a fun one.

Recently someone asked me what my fascination with monsters was, and honestly, I really don't have any fascination whatsoever. In fact, I could care less for zombies, vampires, or whatever else folks seem to be into nowadays. For me, I guess it has more to do with the creative options that monsters present and what you can do with them, and maybe the word monsters isn't so accurate but works for me anyhow. I like to think of these Splotch Monsters as something more akin to imaginary species or life forms, some of which turn out quite beautifully thanks to the watercolors.

In the meantime, a tune from the Autechre boys and co, under their Gescom alias. I can't say I was too thrilled with the latest Ae release despite all the current praise, and honestly would have loved to have heard it go more in a direction similar to this one here, an exquisite beauty of a track titled "Cicada", from 1994. Just in time for the emerging brood.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment