Friday, August 3, 2012

bouncing jo jo



Here's a new one named Bouncing Jo Jo, 'cause he more or less bounces around aimlessly in the ocean, mostly along the surf.  I guess you can say he's not too strong of a swimmer, which explains his perpetual frustration. Perhaps he just needs to relax and enjoy the ride/tide. Whatever the case, I was recently contacted by the JetPens company to try out one of their fountain pens, since they liked my artwork. The pen arrived in the mail last week and it was nothing like I've ever seen before, at least since I took art in middle school and we dipped our pens in ink for a calligraphy lesson. The cool thing is, you simply load the ink cartridge into the pen and get to work. I did let it stand overnight, tip facing down, so I had a better ink flow to draw with. So, today I decided to use it on this Splotch Monster rather than the typical Pigma Micron pens, which I've grown to love. There was something pretty neat about using one of these fountain pens again, and the ink was easy to control, while the pen itself felt very comfortable in my hand. I would definitely recommend using these to anyone who likes to draw and get some fine details in their work, and I'll be testing this one out again soon in my Moleskine to draw from nature this weekend, hopefully. Until then, I'll be doing a Splotch Monster-making demo/workshop again for the Leesburg First Friday gallery walk this evening at Books & Other Found Things, so hope to see you there if you're in the area!





4 comments:

  1. Excellent monster--fun to see the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Loya,

    Big fan of the splotch monsters! If you're up for it I'd love to trade . . . .

    Send me an email if you're game!

    best,

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you nancydrewit!

    JJ, what a wonderful surprise! You're my favorite living artist, so I'm kind of in shock, haha! Of course I would love to trade with you. I'll email you about it when I'm more awake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My what big teeth he has!
    Yay, JET PENS!

    ReplyDelete