Monday, July 30, 2012

splotch monsters invade 2012 dc zinefest


Last Saturday the 2012 DC Zinefest came and went, and this was my second time participating in this fine event. Like last year, I met so many great people and thoroughly enjoyed talking with everyone who stopped by my table, bought my work, and/or participated in the two workshops I held there at St. Stephen's Church.


My friend Matt Dembicki couldn't table with me because he had a book signing scheduled that day as well, for his new and eagerly anticipated Xoc graphic novel. I can't wait to get my hands on some copies and I need to see if he'd be willing to do a comic-making workshop at my school this year - it's been a while! I wanted to join him for a beer at the excellent Spacebar in Falls Church afterwards, but I was so pooped and sweaty and smelly by the end of the fest, all I could think of was a nice cool shower and some quality time on the couch at home.  I was very fortunate though to have tabled with local comic book artist Santiago Casares and his wife and fellow artist Melissa Grance. Santi and I were able to discuss our love of classic cartoons and comic characters and it was really inspiring to watch him sketch the people milling about at the fest all day. I bought work by both of my new friends, including the wonderfully drawn Chili's World, as well as some of Melissa's visually thought-provoking photo-based books.  Do yourself a favor and check out all of these books if you can!


The good folks who organized the fest went above and beyond this year and hooked us participants up with some amazing vegan food from Everlasting Life Cafe in DC. I mean, the food was absolutely delicious and I can't believe I've missed out on this place until now. I've fallen off the vegetarian wagon for a bit now, and eating food this good reminds me that I need to get back on that track a lot more again. I believe a trip to DC is in store here soon!


I was fortunate to be able to do two one-hour workshops this time, and like last year, felt very fortunate to have met such kind and fun people who came by to make some Splotch Monsters of their own.  I managed to document some work by some of the folks who dropped in on the workshop to make some art. For me, this was the highlight of my day.





I know I said this will be the last time I do the zinefest in DC and I discovered I won't make the Richmond one again this year since it'll be around the same time I'll be celebrating my birthday. Still, who knows. I had so much fun this year, I might just give it one more go.


No comments:

Post a Comment